Thursday, October 27, 2016

Don't Take National Parks for Granite

This year marks the 100th-anniversary of the National Park Service and in honour of that, I thought I'd talk a little bit about my experiences with various National Parks around the country. I only recently became enamoured with National Parks and nature in general, preferring the sights, sounds, and smells of a hustling bustling city. In fact, on my first trip to the Grand Canyon, I was impressed for five minutes and then I fell asleep in the car.

 However, when I received my first smartphone two years ago, I found myself seeing nature through a different lens, the one of my phone camera. All of a sudden, evening drives to the Lake of the Woods weren't so bad, nor were my pictures. So when we planned our trip to Yellowstone National Park, my parents were surprised that I was excited for a 21-hour drive without wifi. Yes, the drive was boring, but when we got there, the sights, sounds, and smells were breathtaking. Not only did I enjoy taking pictures, I genuinely enjoyed learning about the history and science of the park that stood above a 640,000 year-old still-active volcano. Apart from the intriguing geographical features of Yellowstone, the diversity of wildlife was amazing as well. Towards the end of our stay there, a herd of bison became more of a nuisance than a sight to behold, although the two wolves we saw at 3 in the morning were a pleasant if not disturbing surprise.

The only way to describe Bryce Canyon in Utah is bizarrely beautiful. Sharp rock spires that shoot up more than 100 feet into the air are all clustered together, looking like an awkward family photo. It is definitely worth the walk to the top of the canyon if you ever decide to go, by the way.

Yosemite for my family was more interesting in the dead of night than in the light of day. This is because as pretty as the mountains were, there aren't words to describe the sublime sight of the Milky Way 7,214 feet above sea level, away from the light pollution. Although my smartphone camera was not advanced enough to capture that sight, it has been permanently etched into my mind. My dream is to go back to the spot where I first saw those celestial bodies with a camera that will be able to capture the vastness of the heavens.

These are just a couple of National Parks that I went to, but each one was unique. Every park had something to learn, something that takes your breath away. I consider myself lucky to be able to enjoy these natural wonders, and I hope that everyone has the opportunity to visit a one in their lifetime. Of course, great pictures are a bonus!

The spires of Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah

Half Dome of Yosemite National Park in California



3 comments:

  1. National parks are really beautiful. Your description of Yosemite at night was really something; I really want to go experience that now! I love the pictures as well, they really bring life to what you've said. Happy belated 100th anniversary of the National Park Service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG i loved this post. I've always been a nature person, though I love cities too. I think this was a really timely post, since I think that many National parks are undergoing hardships in restoration and funding. I like how you describe the transition that you have had in appreciating the national parks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, beautiful photos!
    I really love the language you use when describing the national parks, it feels like I'm actually there. The second paragraph is well written and describes the changes your smartphone did for your experience with nature.
    Great post! I need to visit these places.

    ReplyDelete