Thursday, October 13, 2016

Travel Tips

I am extremely grateful for the ability to travel. I feel lucky that my parents love exploring different places all around the globe. They always told me that there is a lot to learn outside of the classroom as well. Indeed, I have experienced different cultures, tasted different types of cuisine, and learned a lot about the history of many countries. However, it seems that every seasoned traveller in addition to learning a lot about Earth also picks up tips and tricks about travelling itself. So I thought I'd give it a go and share some of my (most likely cliché) travelling tips:

1. Smile!
Believe it or not, not all people in the world are rude. In fact, they enjoy it when you greet them and ask them how their day has been. They will be even more impressed when you greet them in their native tongue. I can't keep track of how many free espressos I got roaming Italy just because I walked into the café and said "Buongiorno!" Making personal connections with natives is always fun and they can even become great guides and friends during your trip

2. Wake Up
There is nothing I dislike more than waking up during a trip and seeing that the sun is high in the sky. The earlier you wake up, the more you can do during the day. It's even more enjoyable if your hotel or hostel room has a view. In fact over the weekend, my father and I went to Chicago and stayed in a room with a lovely view of Lake Michigan the Chicago skyline. I woke up at 4 to take pictures from our window of the view, seeing how dramatically the rising sun changed the landscape.

3. Pack Light, but Not Too Light
Heavy suitcases can be cumbersome to carry around and are sure to put a damper on your mood. On the other hand, suitcases that are too small won't have enough space to carry souvenirs and other goodies around. I suggest one check-in suitcase and a backpack as your carry-on. Also, always have a spare change of clothes and toiletries in your carry-on luggage; luggage gets lost easily. Just do it. You'll thank me later.

4. Take Pictures
With smartphones that take jaw-dropping pictures, it has become really simple to preserve memories that you will cherish forever. My dad loves going over photo albums on a Sunday morning. He always cracks a wide smile when he sees a photo that reminds him of a pleasant or funny memory, like the "Limoncello Incident." I'll leave it at that.

5. Keep An Open Mind
You never know what's going to happen. One minute you might be having coffee with a friend and the next thing you know, you're driving a speed boat down a river through the mountains of South Korea. Sometimes, getting lost is the best way to find something new.

The view from our hotel room in Chicago. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

6 comments:

  1. These aren't cliche at all!! I really enjoyed this post, it was light and well written. Couldn't have said it better myself. Well written, love this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah these pretty much encapsulate everything! I totally agree with #3. I didn't use to pack light, and then I totally did a 180 degree turn and pack super light, but its still really good to have essentials. I also think that sometimes it's good to let go and not feel like you need to take pictures of every single thing, but still try to take enough pictures of things to remember small details of the trip. I really liked this post and related with a lot of it, since I also love to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't travel too much, but I'll keep these tips in mind once I do! Your writing style has a really friendly tone and made this post fun to read. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this is some pretty good advice, especially since it can be good for really any trip I can think I have ever been on (or might be on in the future). The picture you added at the end is also a really cool hotel view!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your traveling advice is excellent, Anupam. It's funny that your family has a "Limoncello Incident." I actually have my own Limoncello Incident. We'll leave it at that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone who has actually never been out of the country, yet heading to Bolivia this summer, I'm glad to have some advice! Everything you list seems really helpful, especially the comments about smiling, and going with the flow. I tend to forget those things when I'm in a new place or uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete